Hot Cross Buns
- 275g Low Protein Flour
- 10g Active Dry Yeast
- 50g White Sugar
- 6g Salt
- 15g Vegetable Oil
- 177ml Lukewarm Water
- Grated rind of 1 medium Orange
- 1tsp Nutmeg
- 144g Currents
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- 7.5 tbsp Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Water
- Soak yeast and sugar in water for 10 minutes or until alive and frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix Low Protein Flour and salt. Gradually add yeast mixture and oil until a firm dough is formed. Add more baking mix if needed.
- Add all remaining dough ingredients and knead to combine for 4-5 minutes. Cover with film and let the dough prove overnight in the refrigerator.
- Divide dough into 6 large balls. Cover and leave for another 30 minutes, to prove and increase in size even further.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and bake buns for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush over syrup whilst hot (optional).
- Gradually add water to sugar until a paste is formed
- Fill a piping bag
- Snip end of bag
- Decorate Hot Cross Buns
77.6 kcals (please add the calories of your low protein flour – it varies significantly by brand).
Protein, phe and exchanges are to be calculated based on the low protein flour you are using to create the recipe. All other ingredients are classed as free according to the NSPKU guidelines.
Makes: 6 medium-large Hot Cross Buns.